Friday, July 11, 2008

"Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.."

Definitely not. But, like the setting of that one old song (some classic rock-ish/folk-y song of yore), we're here: in San Francisco. I'll update on the past few days below, and upload more pictures tonight... I think I'm beginning to build something of a photographers portfolio...

Friday, July 11 -
Arrival in San Francisco. Spent last night in an inn just outside the city. After a 10 minute ride, we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge; my first time seeing it closer than from across the city, even after 4 visits.

On another note, we still have much of California to explore. While I am taken with San Francisco (now my 4th visit in 2 years), Joe R. says San Diego is a very close competitor for 'Awesome City'. Certainly, with a $1 bet on it now, I will find much to like about San Diego... although it definitly has warm water going for it.


Thursday, July 10 -
Yesterday we drove through Oregon via Rt. 101, the coastal route - wholly one of the most scenic stunning roadways in the nation. Portland was nice and I hung out one of the most strongly willful people I have ever met. With a victim-turned-heroine type story, needless to say, I feel I have been let in to the wisdom of a modern-day sage, one no older than I. More on this later, perhaps.

A pleasant day of driving today after crossing into California; though we spent last night in the car - EVERYWHERE along a 35 mile stretch was full (or way overly expensive). We managed to spend a nice afternoon napping and reading in a park along Avenue of Giants in an ancient redwood forst.


Tuesday, July 8 -
We left Olympic National Park today. It's a whole new, wild ecosystem to me - mountainous, temperate rain forest - totally thrilling. For the first time this trip, we got to hike some trails through a park we were staying at - en route we discovered some natural hot springs. Not a bad way to spend a Monday afternoon.

Tonight we spent a night at a rest stop in Washington, we just drove all night and had to stop. Fortunately we're just by the Oregon border so we can get provisioned in Portland tomorrow. Then down to California; we think we'll hit that border tomorrow night.

Sunday, July 6 -
We reached the U.S. again. It took us a while, longer than we though but we avoided another ferry. Chris will drove all through the night to reach Olympic National Park. A wearisome day of travel and movement.

No comments: